In November Coming to Grips with Genesis will be made available by its publisher, Master Books. I am excited about the publication of this book for a couple of reasons. First, the content of the book is aimed to provide a readable, academic defense of key biblical subjects related to the age of the earth. This book is made up fourteen chapters written by scholars from various ministries, all of whom share a commitment to young-earth creationism. The book is targeted for seminary and Bible college professors and students.
Second, the purpose of this book is to provide a collection of essays to honor Dr. John C. Whitcomb, Jr. With the publication of the Genesis Flood in 1961, Dr. Whitcomb and co-author, Dr. Henry M. Morris, became catalytic figures in reviving young-earth creationism. The fourteen different authors who contributed to this book have made other contributions to recent creationism and have been influenced by the ministry of Dr. Whitcomb. Because I had Dr. Whitcomb as a professor at Grace Theological Seminary and have also done some writing on biblical creationism, I was asked to contribute the chapter that evaluates the framework interpretation of the creation account. Because I have read so much of Dr. Whitcomb’s material as well as having a great appreciation for his instruction as a seminary professor and godly example (check out DBTS‘s 2007 William R. Rice Lecture Series), I am delighted to be able to dedicate my chapter to him.
Here is the arrangement of the content of Coming to Grips with Genesis.
Thane H. Ury
Publisher: Master Books
Chapters and Authors
Henry M. Morris
1. The Church Fathers on Creation, the Flood, and the Age of the Earth
James R. Mook
2. A Brief Overview of the Exegesis of Genesis 1-11: Luther to Lyell
David W. Hall
3. ???Deep Time??? and the Church???s Compromise: Historical Background
4. Is Nature the 67th Book of the Bible?
Richard L. Mayhue
5. Contemporary Hermeneutical Approaches to Genesis 1-11
Todd S. Beall
6. The Genre of Genesis 1:1-2:3: What Means This Text?
Steven W. Boyd
7. Can Deep Time Be Embedded into Genesis?
8. A Critique of the Framework Interpretation of the Creation Week
Robert V. McCabe
9. Noah’s Flood and its Geological Implications
William D. Barrick
10. Do the Genesis 5 & 11 Genealogies Contain Gaps?
Travis R. Freeman
11. Jesus??? View of the Age of the Earth
12. Apostolic Witness to Genesis Creation and the Flood
13. Whence Cometh Death? A Biblical Theology of Physical Death and Natural Evil
14. Luther, Calvin, and Wesley on the Genesis of Natural Evil
Thane H. Ury
1. Biography & Bibliography of Dr. John C. Whitcomb, Jr.
Paul J. Scharf
2. Affirmations and Denials on Creation and the Age of the Earth
3. Recommended Resources for Further Study
About the Authors
To find out more information about ordering Coming to Grips with Genesis, go to the New Leaf Publishing Group. If you live in the Allen Park area of Michigan, a copy of this this book may be purchased at the Inter-City Christian Bookstore, 4635 Allen Road, Allen Park, MI 48101 (phone number: 313 383-6110).